In partnership with Promote the Vote’s Election Protection Program, the Voters Ed Fund is launching a full-scale Non-Partisan Poll Challenger and Observer Recruitment Program for the November 8th General Election!
We are committed to recruiting and training volunteers to protect voters’ rights and help keep Michigan’s elections safe, free, fair, and transparent.
Voters Ed Fund’s goal is to recruit 500 volunteers who will observe election administrators and poll workers, and advocate for voters at risk for voter disenfranchisement at the polls. In addition to poll challengers and observers, we will also need volunteers that are interested in and dedicated to the oversight of Absentee Ballot Counting Boards to ensure a smooth, full, and complete count of all absentee ballots.
Why do we need nonpartisan poll challengers?
Nonpartisan poll challengers play a crucial role in protecting voters from being disenfranchised at their polling place by…
- Being the voter’s advocate. A nonpartisan poll challenger’s only priority is protecting the rights of the individual voter – not the party or candidates on the ballot.
- Monitoring the election process at polling locations, satellite offices, and absent voter counting boards.
- Raising an official objection, called a “challenge,” if the challenger does not believe that the poll worker is following Michigan’s election law.
What are the expectations for volunteer Poll Challengers?
- Commitment to nonpartisan volunteerism while serving as a poll challenger.
- Interested in learning about voting rights and how to protect voters from being disenfranchised.
- Complete training and assessment before Election Day (appx. 2 hours of time)
- Available on Election Day – We encourage volunteers to be available the entire day, but shorter shifts will be available for those with work and family obligations.
If you’re ready to observe elections and help protect the fundamental right to vote this Election Day, sign up to be a Nonpartisan Poll Challenger today!