No one should have to risk their life to exercise their right to vote.
Voters Not Politicians launched the VoteSafe campaign to protect public health and the integrity of our elections during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The VoteSafe campaign will build upon Michigan’s no-reason absentee voting laws to ensure that this global health crisis does not become a democracy crisis in Michigan. By automatically mailing every registered voter a ballot, our lawmakers can make sure that all voters can cast their vote and make their voices heard without endangering their health or the health of their communities.
Voting is fundamental to a representative government and Michigan voters have the right to vote without putting our lives at risk. Given the COVID-19 pandemic, the state must act NOW to put measures in place for Michigan’s primary and general elections in 2020 in order to protect public health.
The Voters Not Politicians VoteSafe campaign demands our state lawmakers to work together to set up a vote-by-mail system in time for the 2020 elections where:
- Every registered voter is mailed a ballot with prepaid return postage.
- Voters can choose to return their ballot by mail, to a secure drop box, or to their local clerk’s office.
- Safe, accessible polling locations are available with safety procedures in place that protect voters and poll workers.
- Funding and infrastructure are in place to ensure that ballots are secure, voters can track their ballots, and no voter is disenfranchised.
- Voters may still register and vote in person at local or satellite clerks’ offices, but access is expanded on evenings and weekends leading up to and on election day to minimize crowding and to provide staff time to sanitize properly.
- Clerks should be provided the expanded authority and resources they need to count large numbers of mailed ballots securely and efficiently.
Preparing now to move to a vote-by-mail system in Michigan will save lives.
In 2018, Michiganders across the political spectrum inspired the nation through nonpartisan efforts to end gerrymandering and expand voting access. We must unite again around common-sense solutions that will protect our elections and public health.
Together, we can engage citizens across the state to demand a vote-by-mail system so the COVID-19 health crisis does not turn into a democracy crisis in Michigan. If you’re ready to take action:
- Sign up to volunteer: Voters Not Politicians is organizing safe, virtual volunteer opportunities across the state. From calling our state legislators to educating voters about the campaign, it’s going to take all of us working together to make sure voters can cast their votes safely this year. Sign up to volunteer here → votersnotpoliticians.com/volunteer
- Make a contribution to Voters Not Politicians: All of our volunteer efforts are virtual, which means we need to adopt and adapt to new technology and software to engage volunteers across the state. Support our grassroots advocacy efforts with a contribution today! Make a contribution here → votersnotpoliticians.com/donate