Civic Engagement Associate
Voters Not Politicians is seeking a Civic Engagement Associate located in the Detroit-metro area to support our 2021 Communities of Interest Engagement Program. This full-time, remote position will collaborate directly with the Digital & Targeting Director (currently serving as Redistricting Program Director) to manage and support volunteer activities, outreach to community organizations, and project administration.
Our redistricting program, the 2021 Communities of Interest Engagement Program, is currently active and ongoing. Information and background on this project can be found here.
This is a full-time, remote position with a salary of $3,500 per month. An additional health stipend of $350 per month will also be provided.
Contract Start Date: May 1, 2021 or as soon as possible
Contract End Date: April 30, 2022
- Provide administrative assistance and support to volunteers engaged in our current redistricting project; the 2021 Communities of Interest Engagement Program.
- Maintain and track program metrics and progress to goals.
- Support outreach efforts to non-partisan community organizations.
- Coordinate educational event planning and promotion.
- Assist with virtual event facilitation and basic technical support for Zoom.
- Collaborate with volunteer leaders to identify opportunities and needs to assist with recruitment and training of new volunteers for this project.
An ideal candidate preferably has:
- At least two election cycles of organizing in a campaign (partisan or non-partisan) or at least 1-3 years of civic education project management experience. If an applicant's professional experience does not meet this criteria, candidates with a Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Public Administration, Communications, or other related fields will also be considered.
- Current resident in the Detroit Metropolitan Area (City of Detroit, Wayne, Oakland, or Macomb Counties)
- Familiarity with organizing and project management tools such as EveryAction or VAN, Google Drive (Sheets, Docs, Forms, Slides), Basecamp, Mobilize America, and more.
- Excellent written, interpersonal and verbal communication skills
- Team player, adaptability, a sense of humor, and a positive, can-do attitude
To apply, please email the following items (in PDF-format) to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A cover letter describing your commitment to nonpartisan civic engagement,
- A resume, and;
- The contact information of three references - ideally supervisors with personal knowledge of your project management skills and experience.
About Voters Not Politicians:
Voters Not Politicians is a volunteer-driven, nonpartisan nonprofit organization whose mission is to strengthen democracy through effective citizen action. We are thousands of everyday Michiganders who united to end partisan gerrymandering in Michigan in 2018 and to expand voting access during the 2020 election. We continue to make structural changes to bring ethics, transparency, and accountability to the state government and ensure that our elected officials work for the people.