Voters Not Politicians grew from a grassroots organization into one of the most robust statewide ballot initiative campaigns in the country. Thanks to our volunteer infrastructure, we:
- Collected more than 425,000 petition signatures to put the redistricting reform amendment on Michigan's 2018 general election ballot without paying for a single signature.
- Knocked more than 460,000 doors to tell Michigan voters to "Vote Yes on 2" to pass the redistricting reform amendment
- Secured 61% of the vote in favor of Proposal 2 to end gerrymandering in Michigan
Voters Not Politicians is exploring future initiatives where we can deploy our successful volunteer infrastructure to fix some of Michigan's most pressing issues. Here are a few areas we are exploring as we decide future initiatives:
- What issues are important to Michigan: Voters Not Politicians traveled across the state to hold a series of Democracy Reform Town Halls where we asked Michigan citizens what democracy reform issues were facing our state. We discussed issues like money in politics, ethics & transparency, and voting rights & access. We collected survey data at each Town Hall that we are using to determine what issues Michigan citizens want to see fixed!
- PA 608: In the 2018 "lame duck" legislative session, Michigan's legislature passed PA 608, which created several restrictions on citizens' right to petition our government through initiative and referendum. One of these restrictions was creating a maximum limit on the number of valid signatures that could be collected from any one Congressional district. Our team is researching how we can best navigate these new restrictions successfully.