Job Announcement: Development Director
Voters Not Politicians is seeking a dynamic, full-time Development Director to design and drive our ambitious fundraising campaigns and engage with current and prospective donors. This position involves growing and managing a diverse portfolio that includes grants, major gifts, and grassroots fundraising, to support a wide range of work in the political arena. It offers an extraordinary opportunity to play a critical role in a fast-paced, growing family of organizations that is changing the political landscape of Michigan.
About Voters Not Politicians
Voters Not Politicians is a family of organizations, including a 501(c)(3), 501(c)(4) and Ballot Committee, and an affiliated independent expenditure committee, with a respected nonpartisan brand, state and national media presence, and huge, widely distributed volunteer infrastructure. Our unique strength is a powerful and disciplined force of thousands of volunteers throughout the state who achieve audacious goals. In 2017, VNP volunteers collected 428,000 signatures in 110 days to put our initiative on the ballot and raise public awareness about gerrymandering. We overcame astonishing odds and ended gerrymandering by a citizens initiative to ensure that every vote counts.
In 2020 and 2022, VNP has continued harnessing our grassroots power to fight existential threats to democracy in the critical battleground state of Michigan. As the nonpartisan grassroots group that ended gerrymandering to restore power to the voters, VNP is a trusted authority with a unique ability to engage and activate Michigan voters in the fight for voting rights, voting access, and fair elections.
Engaging thousands of volunteers and supporters, Voters Not Politicians’ work is grounded in the fundamental principle stated in the first line of the state’s constitution: “All political power is inherent in the people.”
The Development Director will report to the Executive Director, and is responsible for the following:
- Designing and driving a long-term fundraising strategy and annual multi-channel fundraising program, which includes individual giving, major gifts, grants, grassroots fundraising, direct mail, and fundraising events
- Identifying prospective donors and developing strategies to cultivate relationships
- Stewarding and deepening relationships with private donors and foundations
- Meticulously tracking data and delivering timely and accurate reports for board of directors, executive director, and team members
- Developing annual reports for funders and supporters
- Overseeing the development budget
- Planning in-person and online fundraising events
- Managing systems and software to track and cultivate donors and prospects, including our extensive donor database
- Managing and support a part-time Development Associate responsible for administrative aspects of the development program
- Communicating fundraising goals throughout the organization and equipping team members with the tools to reach them
- At least 3 years of experience leading multi-channel fundraising campaigns in a fast-paced political or nonprofit setting
- A proven track record of structuring ambitious fundraising goals into clear, achievable development plans that deliver results and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to fundraise from institutional and individual donors
- Excellent time and project management skills, including the ability to prioritize tasks
- Familiarity with fundraising software and tools including EveryAction, NGP, Google Drive, Basecamp, online tools, and more
- Excellent written, interpersonal and verbal communication skills, and demonstrated ability to tell compelling stories in grant applications and cases for support
- Cultural competence, awareness, and sensitivity; commitment to contribute to an inclusive working environment; commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and to always be learning about DEI; in line with our values and our commitment to promoting a truly inclusive and representative democracy in Michigan.
- Team player, adaptability, growth mentality, and a positive, can-do attitude
If you do not have direct experience in any of these areas, we encourage you to let us know how other experiences have equipped you to succeed in those parts of the role. This is a full-time, remote position, but strong preference will be given to Michigan residents.
Email cover letter, resume, and references to email@example.com. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis with the deadline to apply by December 2, 2022. The position will be filled as soon as a well-qualified person is identified.
Salary range is $75,000-$90,000 depending on experience. Benefits include a 401k with employer match, QSEHRA health insurance reimbursement, professional development stipend, flexible work schedule, generous PTO and paid holidays.
Voters Not Politicians is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.