Voters Not Politicians (VNP) is an exciting, volunteer-driven, nonpartisan nonprofit organization whose mission is to strengthen democracy through effective citizen action. We are 1000s of everyday Michiganders who united to end gerrymandering in Michigan in 2018 and to expand voting access during the 2020 election. We continue to make structural changes to ensure that our elected officials work for the people.
The Communications Director reports to the Executive Director and plays a fundamental role in ensuring VNP’s goals reach the public. They execute day-to-day public relations and work collaboratively to develop and disseminate messaging that will help us thrive and expand our impact in the state.
This is a full-time position, remote until further notice.
- Develop and execute organic social media strategies across multiple platforms. Ensure new content and calls-to-action are adequately promoted.
- Design paid and earned communications strategies for campaigns and lead implementation.
- Engage with statewide and national media networks to maintain a consistent media spotlight on VNP’s programs and projects.
- Help draft and send regular stakeholder and volunteer communications.
- Coordinate closely with consultants, stakeholders, and funders.
- Analyze social media, website traffic, and email marketing metrics to measure communications performance across channels. Develop recommendations to increase effectiveness.
- Develop and maintain an online blog focusing on major democracy updates in Michigan and VNP’s programs and campaigns.
- Maintain basic website updates.
The ideal candidate has:
- Existing relationships with political reporters.
- Proven experience with communications research and strategy, media relations, developing content for various audiences, and digital engagement best practices.
- Excellent written, interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to react and adapt immediately in the fast-paced political realm.
- Ability to manage various tasks and priorities, with fastidious attention to detail.
- Ability to create and maintain exciting, relevant social media presence.
- Creativity, positive energy, and a can-do attitude.
- Passion for democracy work and a core belief that “All political power is inherent in the people.”
Email cover letter, resume, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis with the deadline to apply by June 4th, 2021. The position will be filled as soon as a well-qualified person is identified.
Salary range is $60,000-$70,000 depending on experience. Benefits include a 401 (k). Voters Not Politicians is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.